Golden Beet Salad with Avocado and Feta
Photo: Erin Kunkel Styling: Chelsea Zimmer
Total time: 18 Minutes
- 3 medium golden beets, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, sliced
- 1 ounce reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
1. Wrap beets individually in microwave-safe parchment paper. Microwave at HIGH 7 minutes or until tender, turning once after 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/2-inch-thick wedges.
2. Combine rind, juice, black pepper, salt, and shallot in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Place arugula in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons juice mixture to arugula; toss to coat. Add beets to remaining juice mixture; toss to coat. Place arugula mixture on a platter; top with beet mixture, avocado, and feta.